Many parents will not force their children to have the swine flu shot.  A study conducted by the C.S. Mott Children’s Hospital National Poll on Children’s Health, in which 1678 parents were surveyed, revealed that only 40% of parents thought they would probably or definitely force their children to have the swine flu vaccine.  Of the parents who fell into the other 60% the following were given as reasons for not having the shot:


  • • 56% Worried about side effects of the H1N1 vaccine
  • • 46% Not worried about children getting H1N1 flu
  • • 42% Can take medications to treat H1N1 flu
  • • 30% Too much hassle to get 2 doses
  • • 25% H1N1 vaccine won’t be required or recommended for school / daycare
  • • 23% Worried that H1N1 vaccine will be too expensive
  • • 20% H1N1 is not a serious disease


Another interesting feature of this survey was that more parents are planning on giving their kids the seasonal flu shot, 54% than the swine flu shot.  This would seem to be mostly related to concerns about safety of the H1N1 shot. 


If you are not going to force your kids to have the swine flu shot, or you are unsure, you should know that you are not alone.